Saturday, June 15, 2013

These are a few of my favorite starship designs...

Don't worry, I have no intention of broadening the scope of this blog to encompass all sorts of general Star Trek topics.  I may turn this into a general Star Trek fan site after I've completed my one-year mission, but for the time being it will primarily remain a location for the documentation of that "mission".

But every so often I nerd out about starships featured in the various Trek episodes that I'm watching and it got me thinking about my favorites.

So here they are, my top five favorite Star Trek ship designs...

  1. Excelsior class (United Federation of Planets)


  2. Bird-of-Prey class (Klingon Empire)


  3. Constitution class (refit) (United Federation of Planets)


  4. Miranda class (United Federation of Planets)

  5. D'deridex class (Romulan Star Empire)


I should note that this particular top five is based solely on my appreciation for the aesthetics of each design, not necessarily their in-universe capabilities, strengths or weaknesses.

And there are a great many other starship designs that I find quite pleasing to the eye.  An "honorable mention" list would be quite long, but might include classes like the D7/K't'inga, Sovereign, Valdore, Ambassador, Galor, Newton and many others.

3 comments:

  1. Completely agree on D'Deridex and B'rel.

    And while I'm fond the Excelsior, Conny Refit and Miranda... I love the Defiant and Akira hulls.

    I know a lot of Trekkies consider them to be not "Federation" enough, but I love the flow of the designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the ones you posted, Sam, but my all time number one is still the TOS E.

    But the opening moments of TNG, which showed the D in all her glory, had me forgetting to breathe. I love the swoop and grace of that design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and the Klingon D-7.

    I guess I am just old.

    ReplyDelete

Any comment not related to the content of the blog post will be deleted. This includes spam and egregiously off-topic comments.