Wednesday, September 4, 2013

TNG S05E23

In this installment:
(viewed September 4th, 2013)
Star Trek:  The Next Generation, S05E23 - "I, Borg"


"I, Borg"


  • It's unclear what sort of Borg vessel crashed on the moon in the Argolis Cluster, but it's obviously not a full-sized Borg Cube of any known configuration.  It may be some smaller sort of scout craft, like the "coffin"-shaped ship encountered by USS Voyager some years later ("Dark Frontier").
  • Post-assimilation Captain Picard is suuuuuuuper not on board for helping out injured Borg.
  • "Kill it now!"

    Lt. Worf is right, as usual.  You toolbags.
  • "Bridge to Engineering."

    "La Forge here."

    "We're bringing a Borg survivor on board.  We'll need to..."


    ...I'm sorry, we're bring a WHAT to the WHERE?!?
  • Oh, wait.  Nope, Picard's totally on board.  FOR GENOCIDE.

    Cold-blooded Picard is my favorite Picard.
  • "What exactly is total systems failure?"

    Killing them all, Dr. Crusher.  We're killing them all.
  • "If I didn't know better, I'd think he was scared."

    Yeah, you don't know better.
  • Picard and Guinan fencing?  I like it.
  • Guinan trying to talk some sense into this "Let's keep a pet Borg" plan, then feigning injury to beat the Captain and prove a point?  I like that even better.
  • Hugh's designation is "Third of Five", the first time we see this sort of naming convention that will later become famous with Seven of Nine.
  • "You are not Borg."

    "That's right.  And I hope to stay that way."
  • "I've been rationing his portions of energy.  I think he understands.  When he cooperates, he gets fed.  If not..."

    "Like a rat in a cage."


    Okay, dear Dr. Crusher.  Objecting to the genocide is one thing, but expecting them to treat a Borg drone like its any other patient is just a touch naive don't you think?
  • "We are Hugh."
  • "You named the Borg?"

    "It was easier to have something to call him."

    "Oh, so now you have a Borg named 'Hugh'."
  • "Centuries ago, when laboratory animals were used for experiments, scientists would sometimes become attached to the creatures.  This would be a problem if the experiment involved killing them.  I would suggest that you unattach yourself from the Borg, Mr. La Forge."

    "Aye, sir."
  • "It's not a person, damn it!  It's a Borg!"
  • "You are many, I am one.  What I want is not important."

    It's the ex-Borg version of "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Any comment not related to the content of the blog post will be deleted. This includes spam and egregiously off-topic comments.