Wednesday, July 2, 2014

DS9 S01E13

In this installment:
(viewed on Wednesday, July 2nd)
Star Trek:  Deep Space Nine, S01E13 - "The Storyteller"

"The Storyteller"
  •  The Paqu and the Navot?  Well, at least only one of them sounds like a relative of the piranha accused of biting people's testicles.
  • Bwahahaha!  I forgot that Chief O'Brien kind of hates Dr. Bashir at first (you know, just like everyone else).
  • Varis Sul, the young leader of the Paqu delegation, is described as a "tetrarch"--although it's made fairly clear throughout the episode that she's the sole leader of her people and not one of four leaders, as implied by the name.
  • "...and one more thing."

    "What's that, sir?"

    "I don't think it's really necessary to call me 'sir'."

    "What should I call you?  You're my superior officer."

    "How about 'Julian'?"

    "Is that an order?"

    "Oh, no.  Of course not.  It's just that I'd simply prefer it if you called me by my first name."

    "Alright."
  • "...and a Trixian bubble juice for the little lady!"

    Dude, no.  Just...no.

  • "Baseball is slow and boring."

    Everybody agrees, Nog.  And no one is buying that people still play it in the 24th Century.
  • The show's resident teenager(s) take an interest in the stern, determined young leader of an alien people?  Why does this sound familiar?  :P
  • Seriously...okay.  I know I've complained at least twice already since I started my re-watch of DS9, and this is far from the last time--so just get used to it.

    But everything about the Bajoran people that isn't either: A) How attractive most of their women are; or B) How good they are at kicking Cardassian butt?  It's all boring as snot and silly as can be.  Prophets and Storytellers and Dal'Roks?  Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.
  • "His name's Nog, and I'm Jake Sisko.  We're kind of the unofficial welcoming committee around here."
  • "The Sirah has left us.  But the Prophets have sent us his successor!"

    "What, me?  No, I'm an engineer and occasional massacre survivor.  Definitely not into flowing robes and storytelling."
  • "I believe in people working together to find reasonable solutions to their problems."

    So, not a politician then.
  • The 9th Rule of Acquisition:  Opportunity + Instinct = Profit
  • Aww, don't steal Odo's bucket :(

  • Uh, if you're going to sneak up on a combat vet like Chief O'Brien...it's probably best not to do it when he's looking in a mirror.
  • Ah, so you made up a nonsense story to control the people?  Well, it wouldn't be the first time ;)
  • "Oh, and Chief...on second thought, you don't really have to call me 'Julian'."

    "Right you are...sir."





1 comment:

  1. O'Brien's gradual warming to Bashir is one of the best examples of character growth in the entire franchise. Every time he whines about how annoying Bashir is, just think of them drunk on the floor singing "Jerusalem" together.

    ReplyDelete

Any comment not related to the content of the blog post will be deleted. This includes spam and egregiously off-topic comments.