Tuesday, July 9, 2013

TNG S04E19, S04E20

In this installment:
(viewed July 9th, 2013)
Star Trek:  The Next Generation, S04E19 - "The Nth Degree"
Star Trek:  The Next Generation, S04E20 - "Qpid"


"The Nth Degree"


  • Why are all of the creative pursuits of 24th Century humans boring classical tripe*?  Theater, string quartets, paintings...why isn't their a single Led Zeppelin cover band on board a ship with a crew of over a thousand?  :P

    (* - I clearly don't think the classics are actually "tripe", but I do find the absence of popular, contemporary art in the lives of future humans interesting.  I know why they did it--to avoid dating the show.  But it still seems awkward at times.  I actually thought the inclusion of a contemporary musical group like the Beastie Boys on the soundtracks for the two new alternate reality movies to be a fun acknowledgement that some of this crazy popular music we listen to today might survive into the 23rd/24th Centuries.)
  • Lt. Barclay?  Yeah, Lt. Commander Data thinks YOU SUCK.
  • This is why we don't just run around whacking things with positrons, Geordi.
  • Just because you're a super-genius now doesn't mean Troi wants to talk a walk with you, dude.  You're still a creeper.
  • "Tie both consoles into the Enterprise main computer core utilizing neural scan interface."

    "There is no such device on file."

    "No problem.  Here's how you build it."
  • "Mr. Barclay, are you responsible for this graviton field disturbance?"

    "Yes, sir.  I'm altering subspace in a way that's never been conceived of before."


    Oh, well.  That should be fine.
  • "In fact, I could really use help with that level 3 diagnostic."

    "Sure."

    "Excuse me, Commander.  But I believe Mr. Barclay and I had a date scheduled."


    Uh, Geordi is his boss.  If he says he's gotta work, he's gotta work.


"Qpid"


  • Captain Picard loves his archeology.  We get it.
  • Hey kids, it's Vash!
  • I kind of like Dr. Crusher's blue sweater.  Does that make me weird?


    Also, I think she's a little jealous.
  • Ha!  And of course Commander Riker comes creeping.  Him getting shot down by Vash in this episode is one of the highlights of the season :)
  • And I need to hear this Riker impersonation that Picard does.  For reals.
  • "Is this wear Jean-Luc sits?"

    "That's the big chair."


    ...and we don't really let people just curl up in it, lady.
  • Hey kids, it's Q!
  • "Don't just stand there, say something!"

    "GET OUT OF MY CHAIR."
  • "I've just been paid a visit by Q."

    "Q?  Any idea what he's up to?

    "He wants to do something nice for me."

    "I'll alert the crew."
  • I don't think Worf likes lute music.

  • And I don't think Troi is going to win any archery contests.
  • I object to the fact that they wouldn't let Troi and Crusher have swords.
  • "There's something you should know."

    You're not left-handed?


  • A love story between Picard and Vash?  Boooooring.

    Dress it up like Robin Hood?  Whee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comment not related to the content of the blog post will be deleted. This includes spam and egregiously off-topic comments.