Thursday, July 18, 2013

TNG S04E26, S05E01


In this installment
:
(viewed July 17-18, 2013)
Star Trek:  The Next Generation, S04E26 - "Redemption, Part 1"
Star Trek:  The Next Generation, S05E01 - "Redemption, Part 2"


"Redemption, Part 1"
  • "I have been told that patience is sometimes a more effective weapon than the sword."

    "Patience is a human virtue; one that I'm glad to see you've taken to heart.  But doesn't this situation require a more...
    Klingon response?"
  • Hey kids, it's Gowron!

    (image spoilered for profanity)


  • This episode features the introduction of two of my other favorite Klingons--the Duras sisters, Lursa and B'Etor.
  • Hey, for a change we're going to start monitoring the Romulans before they get up to something sneaky.  Good call, Picard!
  • Data's stronger than you and Guinan's a better shot than you.  Just live with it, Worf.
  • "Klingons do not laugh."

    "Oh yes they do.  Absolutely they do.  You don't, but I've heard Klingon belly laughs that'll curl your hair."
  • Kurn:  "Hey, bro.  I got this.  Squadron commanders and everything.  Hang with me, and we'll clear our names and run this joint."

    Worf:  "No thanks."
  • Toral:  Plucky!  Stupid, but plucky.
  • ROMULANS!  And yep, that's Sela in the shadows again.  I forget if she actually gets revealed in this episode, or in the second half.
  • ...in which Lt. Worf gets reprimanded for using his work computer for personal business.
  • "Your blood will paint the way to the future!"

    <3 Gowron
  • The larger "K'Vort"-type Birds-of-Prey used by the Duras forces in their attack on the IKS Bortas appear to have a large disruptor cannon in their forward section instead of the photon torpedo tube seen in most of the smaller "B'rel"-type Birds-of-Prey.
  • Worf's Beatles haircut looks even more ridiculous when he's wearing a Klingon uniform than it does when he's wearing a Starfleet uniform.


"Redemption, Part 2"
  • It's blockade time, motherf**kers!
  • ...in which Data fights racism against androids.
  • Riker's USS Excalibur is an Ambassador-class starship, while Data's USS Sutherland is of the (updated) Nebula class.

  • "Now is not a time for worrying about stabilizers!"

    Eh, I'm pretty sure that's going to be important later, actually.
  • "Excuse me, sir.  I'd like to request a transfer."

    "May I ask why?"

    "I don't believe I'd be a good first officer for you."

    "Your service record to date indicates that you would perform that function adequately."

    "No, no, no.  That's not what I mean.  I don't think I'd be a good first officer for you."

    "Why?"

    "Frankly, sir, I don't believe in your ability to command this ship.  You're a fellow officer and I respect that, but no one would suggest that a Klingon would be a good ship's counselor or that a Berellian would be a good engineer.  They're just not suited for those positions.  By the same token, I don't think an android is a good choice to be captain."

    "I understand your concerns.  Request denied."
  • The idea of a blockade in interstellar space is pretty damned silly, but it makes for exciting TV.
  • "Issue orders to begin work on a way to penetrate this field."

    Uh...go around it?
  • So, yeah.  Our now-deceased former tactical and security officer is a Romulan commander now.  What's up with that?
  • I love Picard's reaction to the Sela reveal:  "We're just gonna go ahead with the blockade.  Screw 'em."
  • "Everything in me that was human died that day with my mother.  All that's left is Romulan.  Never doubt that."

    Well, you know.  Not counting this blonde hair.
  • "Mr. Hobson!  You will carry out your orders or I will relieve you of duty!"

    At least Data can act mad when he needs to >:)
  • I love that Lursa and B'Etor totally bail and leave Toral behind.  And then Kurn walks in and he gets a look on his face like he just soiled his armor.
  • "Toral, son of Duras...you stand convicted of treason."

    "The Duras family will one day rule the Empire!"

    "Perhaps.  But not today..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comment not related to the content of the blog post will be deleted. This includes spam and egregiously off-topic comments.