Tuesday, July 16, 2013

TNG S04E24, S04E25

In this installment:
(viewed July 16th & 17th)
Star Trek:  The Next Generation, S04E24 - "The Mind's Eye"
Star Trek:  The Next Generation, S04E25 - "In Theory"


"The Mind's Eye"


  • I'm noticing two themes right off the bat that are pretty pervasive in TNG:

    1. Lots of bad things happen when bridge officers are traveling to or returning from "conferences" aboard shuttles and other small auxiliary craft.  They should really just stop letting people do that.
    2. Why is it that Geordi can never get the computer to play the right music on the first try?  I mean, you'd think an engineer would know how to talk to a computer right?
  • And Geordi sucks at Jeopardy!
  • Ambassador Kell has one of the more gnarly and impressive foreheads I've ever seen on a Klingon, even in the later TNG/DS9/VOY years when they got really, really big.

  • The Romulan Commander seen in the shadows during Lt. Commander La Forge's "conditioning" is Sela, although her identity is never revealed in this episode.
  • "Take this phaser and kill Chief O'Brien."

    Hey, hey now.  C'mon.  Don't be like that.
  • "Geordi, I get the feeling that something...special happened on this vacation.  And I'm not talking about computers."

    He didn't get laid, Counselor.  He got tortured.  But, you know.  Your finely-tuned empathic abilities are working as well as ever.
  • Picard speaking Klingon is among my favorite things.


  • I'm modestly disappointed that O'Brien doesn't react to Geordi spilling his drink on him by punching him in the neck.
  • I'm telling you, man.  It's always the Romulans.
  • The Galaxy-class Enterprise-D versus one Vor'cha-class cruiser?  Maybe.  Add in two of the larger "K'Vort"-type Birds-of-Prey?  Not so much.

    That's a whole lotta Klingons.
  • "We need more than speculation, Mr. Data.  We need to know who, what, when, where and why."

    You forgot "how".  Err, I guess you already kind of know the how.
  • I knew that VISOR would be trouble!
  • "Take Commander La Forge into custody immediate."

    "Sir?"

    "That is an order."


"In Theory"

This is bullsh*t.  No one ever kisses ME in a torpedo bay.
  • "All science stations stand by.  We're about to light up the nebula."

    "Light up the nebula" sounds like a euphemism Riker would use for...uh, something else.
  • Oh, now Data plays the clarinet?  SHOW OFF.
  • Miles leaves his socks on the floor?  Aww, poor Keiko.

    HE'S A GREAT MAN AND YOU'RE LUCKY TO HAVE HIM.
  • "...an aversion to orderliness" is how I'm going to refer to my own slovenly ways from now on :P
  • "I wish we were back there now, you and I."

    "The unidirectional nature of the time continuum makes that an unlikely possibility."
  • I like how Geordi's just like "Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about.  Ask someone else for advice."  At least he admits that he doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to women.
  • "Klingons do not pursue relationships.  They conquer that which they desire."

    Thanks, Worf.  You're a lot of help.
  • And of course Riker's all like "Go for it!"
  • "I would be glad to offer any advice I have on understanding women.  When I have some, I'll let you know."

    And Captain Picard has the only rational answer of the bunch.
  • "I should not have resumed my painting?"

    "No."

    "Despite your suggestion that I should continue?"

    "Exactly."


    It's the 24th Century.  Are we still doing that?
  • Suave Data is creepy.
  • Verbally abusive Data is even creepier.
  • "Kiss me...what were you just thinking?"

    "In that particular moment, I was reconfiguring the warp field parameters, analyzing the collected works of Charles Dickens, calculating the maximum pressure I could safely apply to your lips, considering a new food supplement for Spot..."
  • Crew members materializing in the floor?  Never a good sign.

  • "I believe our believe our best chance of escaping this situation is for me to pilot the shuttle."

    In what possible reality is that true?
  • "Jenna, are we no longer...a couple?"

    "No, we're not."

    "Then I will delete the appropriate program."
  • And...close on Data, blowing out the candles and sitting in his quarters in the dark, petting his cat.

    :sadtrombone:


      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      Any comment not related to the content of the blog post will be deleted. This includes spam and egregiously off-topic comments.