Wednesday, May 14, 2014

TNG S07E21

In this installment:
(viewed Wednesday, May 14th)
Star Trek:  The Next Generation, S07E21 - "Firstborn"

"Firstborn"


  • I actually really like Worf's (and later Worf's and Dax's) more Klingon-centric episodes of TNG/DS9.  I think they helped to flesh out a culture that was pretty two-dimensional for all of TOS and most of the TOS-era films (saving perhaps ST6, which of course was made after TNG had started the "fleshing out" process).
  • I do not, however, care much for Alexander-centric episodes (although the DS9 episode where he's older and joins the KDF is kind of a guilty pleasure for me). 

    My point is that this episode is always kind of a wash for me :P
  • If your friend's dad is either a Starfleet officer, a starship's security chief or its chief tactical officer, or a certified Klingon warrior with an established kill record...you don't want to hit that guy with a water balloon.

    If your friend's dad is all of the above?  You really don't want to hit that guy with a water balloon.
  • "Mother said I didn't have to do any of this Klingon stuff if I didn't want to!"
  • Captain Picard, in typical Arbiter of Succession style, knows his Klingon holidays backwards and forwards.
  • This Kot'baval Festival seems like all of the best parts of a modern renaissance fair rolled into one event.  There are just like, bat'leths all over the place though.  Probably a lot of injuries, especially once the bloodwine starts flowing.

    (Note to self:  Do not play with bat'leth while drunk.)

    (Note to everyone else:  Yes, I have a bat'leth.  It was a gift.  Don't judge me.)

  • I bet Klingon muggings are several orders of magnitude more violent than your garden variety human muggings.
  • K'mtar, the gin'tak (adviser/bodyguard) to the House of Mogh, is played by veteran Trek actor James Sloyan.  You probably remember him best as Romulan Admiral Jarok, from the S3 episode "The Defector", although he will also appear later on DS9 and VOY.

    He also happens to be a native of my hometown, Indianapolis.
  • I like how they call up Deep Space 9 to talk to them about the whereabouts of the Duras Sisters, and Quark's the one who answers the phone.
  • Dude, K'mtar will totally call Klingon child protective services on you.
  • Those pesky Yridians, again.
  • Somebody slept with Lursa?  The ugly Duras Sister?
  • "I am your son!  I am Alexander!"

    He says that like it's gong to make Worf want to hit him less.
  • "It's okay, son.  I love you even though you're a weird little peacenik."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comment not related to the content of the blog post will be deleted. This includes spam and egregiously off-topic comments.