Tuesday, April 16, 2013

New STID trailer; look for my review 5/17-5/18

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness...


There's a lot we've seen before, but there's some new footage there as well.  Most notably, we see what appears to be an adversarial vessel for the first time.  It looks like a larger, more powerful Federation design than the Constitution--which leads to all kinds of speculation.

Has Starfleet launched a newer, more powerful design so soon after the Constitution (which at the time of the events portrayed in the '09 reboot was both the newest and the most powerful ship class in the fleet, with Enterprise being the flagship of the Federation)?

Or does John Harrison--whoever he is--have access to this vessel from the future, of all places?  I'd certainly be disappointed to see them employ time travel for two films in a row, but it wouldn't exactly be a Trek first to beat that particular plot device into the ground.

To me, the ship seems too large, too advanced, too powerful to be a contemporary Starfleet design.  My guess is one of three things:
  • It's not a Federation starship and the footage in the trailer is simply too chaotic to tell for sure.
  • It's a Federation starship from some point in the future (relative to the events of the film).
  • It's a Federation starship, developed covertly by an organization akin to Section 31--separate from the mainstream, open construction of conventional designs like the Enterprise.
In any case, even if there are going to be nits to pick (and I know there will be), it does look like it will be an exciting movie--just like its predecessor.

I look forward to seeing it, and you can look for my official review on Ars Technica--the best tech news website on the Internet.  I'll be submitting it to their editors, who have been kind enough to humor me and allow me to write this review for them, either late in the day on May 17th or early on May 18th.

You can be sure that I'll be promoting it here and all over the place :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comment not related to the content of the blog post will be deleted. This includes spam and egregiously off-topic comments.