Monday, April 1, 2013

TOS S03E08, S03E09

I don't have a wise-cracking caption for this image.  I just think it's cool.

In this installment:
(viewed Friday, Saturday and Sunday, March 29-31)
Star Trek: The Original Series, S03E08 - "For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"
Star Trek: The Original Series, S03E09 - "The Tholian Web"
"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"
"The Tholian Web"
  • This episode features another Constitution-class starship, USS Defiant.  She will show up again in the ENT episode "In a Mirror, Darkly".
  • Oh, I see.  When the Vulcan dies, Scotty will get out the great pipes.  Y U NO PLAY PIPES FOR KIRK?!?
  • I realize that they needed to build up the tension between McCoy and Spock so that it could be defused by Kirk's "final orders", and the comaraderie between the two by the end of the episode goes a long way toward strengthening that leg of the Triumvirate.  That said, McCoy really comes off like a butthole here.
  • I hear the US government is experimenting with diluting VX with alcohol to use as a sedative, a la Theragen.
  • Although it's well-established in the films that Spock is perfectly capable of and willing to stretch the truth when it's necessary, I think this is the first occasion where he explicitly lies for a non-tactical reason--namely when he and McCoy tell Kirk that they never had a chance to watch Kirk's "last orders" tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comment not related to the content of the blog post will be deleted. This includes spam and egregiously off-topic comments.