Sunday, March 10, 2013

TOS S02E02, S02E03, S02E04, S02E05, S02E06


In this installment:
(viewed Thursday, Friday & Saturday; March 7-9)
Star Trek: The Original Series, S02E02 - "Who Mourns For Adonais?"
Star Trek: The Original Series, S02E03 - "The Changeling"
Star Trek: The Original Series, S02E04 - "Mirror, Mirror"
Star Trek: The Original Series, S02E05 - "The Apple"
Star Trek: The Original Series, S02E06 - "The Doomsday Machine"
"Who Mourns For Adonais?"
  • Referring to the young Lt. Palamas, Dr. McCoy says something along the lines of "Someday she'll get herself a man, and then she'll be off...out of the service"--implying that once she gets a guy she'll naturally resign her Starfleet commission to go have babies or whatever.  Not to beat a dead horse here, but it's yet another example of how ill-used female characters were in the late 1960s.  I'm sorry if I keep pointing these out, but they stand out really sorely when I watch the episodes.
  • "And I am the Czar of all the Russias!"
  • "Stiff-necked thistle head" sounds like they were just reaching for some sort of pejorative for Scottish people.  I can only assume it came the same dictionary as "bottle-headed Bracegirdle from Hardbottle" :)
  • Hey, for once Kirk didn't just let the crazy guy keep the love-struck female crewmember (e.g. Dr. Elizabeth Dehner, Lt. Marla McGivers).
"The Changeling"
"Mirror, Mirror"
  • They always say how safe the transporters are, and then they make like five million episodes where a transporter goes bananas because of whatever and hijinks ensue.
  • I hate to propagate the very sexism of which I've accused The Original Series...but I don't hate Uhura's midriff-baring outfit in this episode ;)
  • I wonder if the Agonizer is approved for use on unruly children, or coworkers? >:)
  • Thanks a lot, Kirk.  You leave Mirror Universe Spock with a guilt trip, and he screws everything up for humanity.  Way to go, dude.
"The Apple"
  •  "The Garden of Eden was just outside Moscow."
  • GARDEN OF EDEN WITH LANDMINES should be a band name.
  • Apparently space-Hawaiians cry when you hit them.
  • Uh, sir? Your god appears to be a papier-mâché Godzilla.
  • Spock gets his butt kicked in this episode.  Poison flowers, force fields, then all of the space-Hawaiians laugh at him, AND THEN LIGHTNING!  Poor bastard.
  • I'm just going to put this out there:  That Vaal guy was a turbo-douche.
  • "It does something for you."
    "Yes, it does indeed Captain. It makes me uncomfortable."
  • I believe this is the first episode where they mention the capability of discarding the nacelles and secondary hull, using the primary hull as a lifeboat of sorts.  It's obviously not a maneuver intended to be performed more than once, a la the Galaxy class' saucer separation sequence.
  • Between this episode and TWoK, I get the impression that Kirk likes to sit down and enjoy some local fruits when he's mulling over his impending doom.  I guess there are worse ways to be a stress-eater.  I tend to go for sausages and cheeses, not fruit :P
  • Aww, look at Chekov.  Makin' kissy-face, corruptin' the natives.
  • "I guess you'll have to fire me, sir."  <3 Scotty
  • JAMES T. KIRK:  Killin' gods, spreading the word of sexy-times, all across the galaxy.
"The Doomsday Machine"
  • The registry of USS Constellation (NCC-1017) was created to make use of existing decals for the Enterprise's registry (NCC-1701).
  • The "auxiliary control center" seen here on the Constellation (and earlier on the Enterprise) could be considered a forerunner of the more-robust battle bridge seen on larger 24th Century starships (although some small starships not capable of saucer separation, like the Defiant class, still featured an auxiliary control room/center).
  • Commodore Matt Decker is played by William Windom, who went on to reprise the role in the episode "In Harm's Way" of the fan production Star Trek: New Voyages (aka Star Trek: Phase II).
  • The CGI work in the remastered version of this episode is superb.  You can only do so much with the inherently primitive design of the planet killer, but we get to see Enterprise do some actual maneuvering in this episode--especially when Decker orders the fly-by attacks on the aforementioned planet killer.  Even though the CGI model of the Enterprise used is more detailed and looks great, it's usually just inserted into the same sort of fairly-static shots from the original episodes.  It's nice to see the old girl bust a move and lay down some pain.

5 comments:

  1. A note on the Constellation. It was built using the AMT model kit of the Enterprise released that year. The Original AMT kit is known for being inaccurate to the studio model. However, since the ship in question is the Constellation, it can be said that the AMT kit is an accurate model of the Constellation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd heard that. I think it's the same reason they were restricted to the same numbers as the Enterprise's registry.

      The CGI version of the Constellation in the remastered version of this episode looks pretty sweet.

      Delete
  2. That's funny about the decals, especially in light of how many alternatives are available today. They really did do the models with stone knives and bearskins back then...

    I am a bit surprised Leonard Nimoy didn't just adopt the goatee permanently. He really looked great in one.

    BTW, I got here from a link at Starship Modeler, and I am enjoying the hell out of your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the goatee!

    Where was my humble little blog linked over at Starship Modeler? I love that site, but I've never really visited the forums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look, I am like the old Kirk in that other episode. Am I supposed to remember?

      OK, when I get a chance I will backtrack. I am crazy busy, and am barely able to check in.

      Delete

Any comment not related to the content of the blog post will be deleted. This includes spam and egregiously off-topic comments.